Stretch marks on your skin are not a health issue and don’t require any medical treatment, but can be a serious aesthetic and cosmetic issue, as sometimes they might appear unsightly. Striae, which is another term used for this skin marks, can vary on what they look like and the skin area they affect, and sometimes they can be a cause of great psychological distress as they can affect your appearance.
These streaks on the skin most often show on the area of breasts, buttocks, thighs, upper arms or abdomen and they can be very different when it comes to color or depth. If you happen to have stretch marks and are seriously considering stretch mark removal, our competent medical staff will try to solve your problem in the least invasive but most effective way.
What Causes Stretch Marks?
- Pregnancy is for women the most probable time stretch marks will occur, because of the expected stretching of the skin and the changes in the hormonal balance in the body.
- Obesity and weight gain are one of the most usual causes of stretch marks, because of the physical transformation of the body which causes the skin to expand.
- Puberty can sometimes be a time when striae occur, due to the rapid body growth.
- Some health conditions such as Cushing’s syndrome or Marfan syndrome can also lead to stretch marks. Cushing’s syndrome is best known for overproduction of a hormone cortisol, which is thought to influence developing of stretch marks. Marfan syndrome can seriously affect the skin as well as decrease the skin elasticity thus enabling stretch marks to appear easily.
- Use of corticosteroids for treating some other skin conditions can influence the level of collagen in your skin, and cause stretch marks.
Stretch Mark Treatment
If you want to remove stretch marks, you must be aware that they can never be completely erased, just smoothed. Sometimes they can even fade out in time on their own. But if these streaks on your skin still bother you and you want to try to do something about them, there are several procedures which can make them less visible.
- Using make-up. Over-the-counter products can camouflage a small area of skin, and can last up to 3 days
- Creams and gels are also available over-the-counter and can have a certain effect when your striae is newly formed and still pink or red.
- Different variations of laser therapy according to the age and position of your stretch marks. Light waves stimulate the production of collagen and elastin in your skin, thus making your stretch marks fade
- Microdermabrasion is most often used with old stretch marks, as it removes the surface of your skin, enabling more elastic skin to grow.
- Cosmetic surgery as a way of stretch mark removal is uncommon because it is expensive and can cause scars and some other complications.
With the help of our experienced medical staff, who will provide you with personalized service and treatment plan, you can choose which treatment suits you the best, according to the age of striae, expectations, convenience and treatment price.